For the continuous line drawing, in exercise line drawing detail, I found that the Pitt artist fibre-tipped pen allowed a smooth continual flow of ink and laid down a good strong line, however, unless I altered the pressure on the pen, angle I held the nib, or speed I moved the pen (which I didn’t do because of not thinking of it while concentrating so hard on drawing the continual line) the line had little variety in it, in either tone or width. In future I need to work on improving my ability to be able to keep in mind more aspects of the drawing at the same time. Drawing with the stick dipped in ink gave the most variation in line, although this was more related to the amount of ink on the stick rather than any skill on my part. I really enjoyed using the stick and just had fun trying to draw with it. For the exercise getting tone and depth in detail I found that the range in hardness and softness of the graphite pencils was very effective in their ability to give both good tonal variation and depict texture. The biro that I used in the exercise stipples and dots was a lovely tool to use, smooth and with good tonal variation possible and a wide range of marks possible. Altering pressure while using it made a marked difference in depth of tone in the line, with the lightest of lights being possible, right through to the darkest of darks.
Figure 1 shows some of the marks that I found worked well to create tone, pattern and texture in these exercises.
I enjoyed trying to capture the details of the objects that I was drawing and at present feel more at home trying to do that, rather than creating big broad brush sketches. Hopefully as the course progresses and my drawing skills improve I will be able to increase the range and type of drawings that I do.
As instructed in the check and log, I’ve made some sketches and notes about possible ways of improving the composition in the drawings I have done in this project (please see figures 2 and 3).
I feel that I have learnt a lot from doing the drawings in this project. I can see now how the combining of marks, whether hatching, stippling, dots or other marks can enable a much livelier and expressive drawing to be obtained. I also, for the first time, found myself really understanding better how to use hatching a little more successfully. I’ve enjoyed doing these drawing and overall am quite pleased with the finished results. They are livelier and I have used a wider range of marks than I would normally use. I think that I have also made progress with depicting of a wider range of tones, although I still have a very long way to go with that. The thing I have to aim for now, is to include what I have learnt in these exercises in the forthcoming ones and to continue to try and become more inventive and expressive with my mark making.